Are you sure, George? Kambosos Jr reveals he has triggered his rematch clause and WILL fight Devin Haney again despite one-sided demolition in Melbourne – as former champion eyes a fight in Australia before Christmas
George Kambosos and Devin Haney will meet in the ring again after the Australian activated his rematch clause, less than two his rival stripped him of his belts in Melbourne.
Haney made history at Marvel Stadium earlier this month as he wo by unanimous decision – with two scores of 116-112 and one of 118-110 – to become the undisputed champion of the world in the lightweight division.
It marks the first time since 1990 – and the first time ever in the four-belt era – that the 135lb division has an undisputed champion.
George Kambosos has triggered his rematch clause to fight Devin Haney again
Speaking after the fight, Kambosos vowed to trigger the rematch clause to have another shot at ‘The Dream’.
The Sydneysider has kept his word and expects the second act of his rivalry with Haney to take place before the end of the year. Crucially, the rematch is again scheduled to take place in Australia.
‘The rematch is happening, 100 per cent. I have activated the re-match clause,’ Kambosos told News Corp.
‘We haven’t finalized a venue. There’s options for Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. It will be in Australia which is great.’
Devin Haney became undisputed lightweight champion with victory over the Australian
The American dazzled from start to finish, defeating his opponent via unanimous decision
Despite being comprehensively outclassed in their first meeting, Kambosos insisted he was confident he could regain his WBA, IBF and WBO belts.
‘I know I can win a match. I will make some changes and this is my destiny to show how great I am and get those belts back,’ he added.
‘The Emperor is dead, but Ferocious is still alive and I will be back.’
Kambosos and Haney agreed to a two-fight deal, meaning the American can’t pull out of fighting the Australian again unless he chooses to vacate the belts to move up to the super lightweight division.
The Australian suffered his first defeat after 20 wins in as many professional bouts
‘The Dream’ was dominant throughout, with Kambosos Jr unable to land anything of note
It remains to be seen, however, whether there will be much appetite for a rematch from the fans’ standpoint.
‘Utter domination by Devin Haney and a fight we don’t need to see a second time,’ said Fox Sports boxing analyst Mark Ortega after Haney beat Kambosos on June 5.
‘Both because of how dominant it was and also very boring.’
ESPN boxing insider Mike Coppinger sang from the same hymn sheet: ‘George Kambosos has the right to an immediate rematch with Devin Haney later this year in Australia, but who will want to see it?,’ he wrote on Twitter.
Fox Sports boxing analyst Mark Ortega suggested a rematch would be far from appealing
An opinion shared by ESPN boxing insider Mike Coppinger, who questioned the need for a second bout between Kambosos and Haney
According to News Corp, around 50,000 viewers bought the fight on Main Event, well short of the 100,000-purchase target Kambosos’ promoters were expecting.
In the US, some 1.3million viewers tuned in to watch the fight on ESPN.
The figures were seized upon by Tim Tszyu, who reignited his war of words with Kambosos.
Kambosos reignited his war of words with arch-rival Tim Tszyu
The former twice pulled in at least 100,000 pay-per-view spectators – when he fought Jeff Horn in August 2020 and Bowyn Morgan in December of the same year.
Kambosos, however, insisted he remained Australia’s main boxing attraction.
‘I am still the biggest name in Australian boxing,’ he said.
‘Tim can barely get crowds to his fights in Australia.’