George Kambosos Jr. was utterly outclassed by American rival Devin Haney in Sunday afternoon’s title fight at Marvel Stadium.
George Kambosos Jr. has been utterly outclassed by American rival Devin Haney in Sunday afternoon’s blockbuster fight at Marvel Stadium, suffering a unanimous decision defeat in Melbourne.
Haney, nicknamed “The Dream”, became the undisputed lightweight champion of the world after judges scored the one-sided bout 116-112 x 2, 118-110.
Watch one of the biggest boxing fights ever in Australia: George Kambosos Jr. vs. Devin Haney, Sun 5 June with Main Event on Kayo Sports. No Kayo subscription needed to order. ORDER NOW >
Kambosos was no match for the undefeated American, who repeatedly peppered the Aussie star with well-directed jabs throughout the 12-round contest.
“You’ve got to say the jabs have got Haney in front at this stage,” Main Event commentator Barry Michael said.
“The jab is the winning punch of the fight so far. I think George has to change the pattern of the fight. The jab is a dominant factor in this fight.”
“It’s hard to break through his defence. He’s got a tight defence. He’s got to find a way to get around the jab.”
Haney comfortably survived a desperate barrage in the final round, with Kambosos throwing himself off balance with a wild left hook.
The 28-year-old busted his guts but was simply outclassed by a better fighter. The hometown hero was magnanimous in defeat and congratulated the new champion, who will return home with the WBC, WBA, WBO and IBF belts.
It’s the first time the lightweight division has been united in the four-belt era and Haney is the youngest of the eight champions in any division.
As part of the $15 million bout, Kambosos Jr. does have a rematch clause with a potential sequel to take place on Australian shores.
“This is a dream come true. I knew this was a big moment,” Haney said after the triumph.
“It would have hurt me to win this without my dad so I’m glad he was here in my corner.
“I was comfortable. I was sticking to the game plan to hit and not get hit.
“I fought a smart fight.
“I handicapped him of his best things. He wanted to land the overhand right and he couldn’t hit with me with his left hook either.”
“If the next fight happens, I will be back.”
American boxing pundits showered Haney with praise throughout the contest, calling his performance a “masterclass.” The 23-year-old was just too fast and too sharp for his opponent.
Sporting News journalist Andreas Hale posted: “Kambosos talked and talked and talked and now he’s getting jabbed and jabbed and jabbed in the mouth where those words came from.”
The Ring’s Michael Montero tweeted: “Does Kambosos and his team really want the rematch? I mean, other than the payday, I can’t see him doing anything differently if/when they do it again later this year. Haney is just better.”
The Melbourne crowd’s silence also didn’t go unnoticed, with American fans poking fun at Marvel Stadium’s 41,129 spectators.
CBS reporter Luke Thomas tweeted: “Haney flew all the way to Australia to fight the hometown guy in his stadium and managed to silence 40,000 of his observing countrymen. Pretty impressive.”
After his maiden world-title defense ended in tears, Kambosos vowed to avenge his loss later this year.
“He didn’t want to come to fight too much, I have to change a few things and I will get him back later this year,” he said.
“It’s amazing for the sport. I wanted to take the biggest test and he gets my full respect.
“At the end of the day, not many wanted to fight him, but I fought him.
“I landed a few shots, but he had a smart game plan and did what he had to do to win.
“He got the decision and respect to him.”
Originally published as US delivers George Kambosos Jr. brutal reality check after Devin Haney triumph