ALBUQUERQUE, NM — The No. 13 Texas Women’s Golf team carded a two-over-par 290 on Tuesday and is in third place at one-over-par 577 (287-290) following the second round of the NCAA Albuquerque Regional at the University of New Mexico Championship Course. Sophomore Bentley Cotton is the leading Longhorn after two rounds as she sits in a tie for sixth at one-under-par 143 (68-75). Senior Sara Kuskova and junior Sophie Guo both shot par or better on the day to move up into a tie for 12th at one-over-par 145.
Junior Sophie Guo shot the low round on the day for the Longhorns with a one-under-par 71, which was good enough to move her up nine spots from the previous day. The junior played bogey free, two-under-par golf on the front nine, followed by seven straight pars from holes 10 through 16. The round of 71 from Guo was her eighth round at par or better on the season.
Senior Sara Kuskova and freshman Bohyun Park both registered their team-leading 12th rounds at par or better on the season as both fired an even-par 72 on Tuesday. For Kouskova, the senior stood at one-under-par through the first eight holes before recording seven straight pars on holes nine through 15. A bogey on hole 16 put her back to even-par as she would finish up the day with two more pars on holes 17 and 18. Kouskova’s second round of 72 helped her move up five spots in the individual standings. Playing in her first NCAA Regional tournament, Park improved 11 spots in the individual standings after the second round. Sitting at even-par through the front nine, Park would also go on to tally six consecutive pars on holes 10 through 15. Park now stands in tie for 28th place at four-over-par for the tournament entering Wednesday’s final round.
In addition to the Longhorns (No. 13 in the latest WGCA Coaches Poll, released on May 6, 2022), the 12-team NCAA Albuquerque Regional Championship field includes: No. 2 Oregon, No. 12 Florida, No. 23 Arizona, Georgia, Louisville, New Mexico State, Northern Arizona, North Texas, Oklahoma, Sam Houston State and TCU.
No. 2 Oregon holds an eight stroke advantage in the team field after shooting a four-under-par-284 for the second day in a row to stand at eight-under-par 568 (284-284). Georgia also scored a four-under-par 284 on the day to move them into second place at even-par 576 (292-284).
Briana Chacon of Oregon remains in the lead in the individual standings following day two at 10-under-par 134 (65-69). Georgia’s Jenny Bae is in second at seven-under-par 137 (68-69), while Marina Escobar Domingo of Florida is in third at four-under-par 140 (68-72).
The NCAA Albuquerque Regional concludes with 18 holes Wednesday, May 11. Texas will be paired with No. 2 Oregon and Georgia for Wednesday’s final round. Third-round tee times begin at 9 am CT, while the Longhorns won’t begin teeing off until 10:06 am CT.
The top four teams from each of the six regional sites across the country advance to the NCAA Championship (May 20-25) at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Sophomore Bentley Cotton shot a three-over-par 75 and is tied for sixth at one-under-par 143 (68-75) in the individual standings. Cotton registered one birdie (No. 14, par-5) on the day.
- Senior Sara Kuskova fired an even-par 72 to move up to tie for 12th place at one-over-par 145 (73-72). Kouskova recorded two birdies (No. 5, par-4; No. 7, par-4) during the second round.
- Junior Sophie Guo scored the low round on the day for the Longhorns with a one-under-par 71 and is also tied for 12th place at one-over-par 145 (74-71). Guo posted two birdies (No. 5, par-4; No. 9, par-5) on Tuesday.
- Freshmen Bohyun Park carded an even-par 72 and is tied for 28th at four-over-par 148 (76-72). Park led the team with three birdies (No. 7, par-4; No. 9, par-5; No. 17, par-4) on the day.
- Graduate Brigitte Thibault posted a six-over-par 78 and is tied for 33rd at six-over-par 150 (72-78). Thibault tallied one birdie (No. 2, par-4) during the second round.